Total Pageviews

Monday, October 3, 2011

Outrage!

I thought people could see the beauty in the world. I guess not! This was sent as a postcard to a receiver on postcrossing:


What would your reaction be? Would you think it was beautiful? Would you think it was a nice gesture? Would you be impressed that it made it through the mail intact?  Can you guess what the response was?

The official response was :

"I'm very disappointed and shall I say angry. This is not a postcard and this goes against the intent of postcrossing. Blah blah blah.... Why would you send this to someone? How could you treat me like this? "  *

*condensed version

I cannot believe that a fellow postcrosser or actually anyone that receives mail would be offended by this! I get that it does not fit the definition of a standard store bought postcard but still - why all the hate? I'm still stunned.


-Rob

3 comments:

  1. I understand you. I think there too much demands on the postcrossing side. "Only send me this or that and NO NO NO selfmade cards". What is with the countries where the people are poorer then us? Who can´t buy cards? Or when the demands are to specific? I don´t like it when the people are demanding or ungrateful.

    P.S. Love the drawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting Anita. I 100% agree. I have seen some pretty miserable postcrossing accounts where the person lists a bunch of demands. It is supposed to be only a request. There is no "postcrossing law" that says you can only send postcard X with conditions Y and Z.
    You are right - it can come off as ungrateful. Personally I think postcrossing demands are like putting a filter on this wonderful world. How can a person be upset with people not meeting their "demands" on a free hobby website? Postcrossing is just for fun anyways. Now I'm done my rant. Thanks for following my blog.

    -Rab

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'What would your reaction be?' I think it's Art!
    And I would have been happy to receive it: as this really must have been an effort to make, I would feel honoured.
    Moreover, I love to see how it gets through mail (be it intact or 'creatively changed' by the mail company).

    Also I always wonder why people feel offended by handmade cards.
    And of course it's up to people to mention in their profile that they don't want selfmade cards. But they don't know what they are missing (see for instance this beautiful drawing, I was lucky to receive: http://heleendevaan.blogspot.nl/2011/04/received-from-xinlu-cai.html ).

    ReplyDelete